Data Visualization Developer (Power BI)
Arlington, Virginia, United States, Remote
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn Copy link
Excella is a leading provider of Agile software development and data and analytics solutions to clients in the federal, commercial and non-profit sectors. We believe that great work leads to great things –- our experts measure success by the positive impact we make on our clients, community, and colleagues. We are growing fast and need passionate, innovative people who love working with technology and are ready to make an impact. Here's what you can expect from us:
- Workplace sites look different for everyone – whether it’s your home or the office, we believe in a flexible work/life balance that supports you regardless of your location. We offer a home office allowance that can be used for home office furniture/equipment, a daily pass for a coworking space, etc. Our commute reimbursement plan has you covered for whether you bike, Metro, or drive to work.
- We offer top of industry medical, dental, and vision benefits with multiple options to choose from such as an employer-contributed health savings account, infertility coverage, and orthodontia so you can select the plan that works best for you.
- Regardless of what stage of life you’re in, Excella wants to support you. We provide 8 weeks of Parental Leave, discounted pet insurance, and a Care.com membership with 3 back-up emergency child or elder care days annually – all available to you on your first day.
- Starting day one, every employee is bonus eligible and receives 15 days of paid vacation, 6 federal holidays, and 4 floating holidays.
- Diversity and inclusion matter. Excella created and continues to support employee led-affinity groups and the Inclusion Diversity Equity Ambassador (IDEA) team, a cross-functional employee-led initiative to continually foster innovation and increase inclusion within Excella.
- We'll invest in your career by providing 3 days of paid professional development every year, including travel and registration fees to attend classes and conferences.
- We encourage mindfulness and overall well-being through employee wellness events, a HeadSpace membership, as well as access to TalkSpace and mental health coverage through our medical plans.
The Data Visualization Developer is responsible for creating reports and dashboards using popular tools to support self-service analytics environments for our clients.
This is not a Data Science role and does not require the use of advanced statistical techniques to analyze data.
- Interacts directly with client stakeholders (business or technical) to understand client stakeholder needs.
- Uses SQL queries to explore and understand data sources.
- Creates prototypes based upon stakeholder requirements in order to confirm the report or dashboard design meets the business need.
- Creates simple to complex reports and dashboards using visual analytics and business intelligence tools like Tableau and PowerBI
- Uses SQL or other language to connect directly to data source for data quality checks and to ensure the numbers being represented in reports are accurate compared to source data.
- Ensures the final product follows data visualization and design best practices, is automated where feasible, and is easily transitioned into the client's environment for ongoing maintenance.
- Creates and delivers end-user training and documentation on BI deliverables.
- 3+ years developing reports and dashboards using Power BI.
- 3+ years writing simple to medium complexity SQL queries.
- Understanding of relational databases structures (tables and relationships) in order to source effectively from these for reports and dashboards.
- Analytical thinker and problem solver who can listen to a non-data person share a problem, and identify and package data to help them solve that issue
- Ability to write medium-complexity SQL queries
- Packages large, complex datasets into intuitive, easy to use dashboards, reports, and decks that help decisions makers answer questions
- Detail oriented, with a clear understanding of how to quality check reports and data pulls, due to the high visibility of the work
- Skilled in managing work intake/requirements sessions, including mapping detailed documentation of requirements and tracking progress in shared collaboration tools (JIRA)
- Written communication is paramount – needs to write clear, concise summaries of complex information and understand how to structure written communication for senior business stakeholders/executives
- Takes a user-centered approach to developing data visualization products, like dashboards.
- Enthusiastic about learning about and using new features within tools like Tableau and PowerBI to ensure dashboards leverage the most up to date functionality
- Strong understanding of data visualization best practices, including chart selection, visual encodings, preattentive attributes, and Gestalt principles, and experience using those principles in the development of executive dashboards.
- Seeks and sees the larger business context of their work, and identifies opportunities to add value in complex and changing environments
- Optional, but industry or subject matter expertise (e.g., finance, employment, hospitality, digital analytics).
Excella is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.